Don’t let this weekend’s weather forecast bring you down. There are a lot of great events to enjoy in the DMV! Whether you’re planning a day trip to DC, heading to the beach or doing something around town, we’ve got you covered!
Washington, DC Events
DC Beer Week DC Beer Week returns to the nation’s capital this summer with a variety of beer focused events. The annual event is great for craft beer lovers and celebrates the breweries, restaurants, bars, distributors and beer aficionados in the region. Hundreds of venues in Washington DC, Virginia and Maryland will host a variety of beer related events, including beer dinners, tastings, educational panels, glassware giveaways, and more.
- Friday, August 16th – Friday Night Under the Lights at Union Market: A Celebration of Craft Beer & Craftsmen – 3 Stars Brewing Company and Union Market present a celebration of craft beer and craftsmen as the market vendors bring their wares outside for street party to kick off the weekend. The event will include live music, DJ’s, local chefs and restaurants, tons of craft beer, and entertainment. Cover charge $10-$20.
- Saturday, August 17th – Old Ebbitt Grill’s Craft BrewHaHa – DC’s landmark restaurant, The Old Ebbitt Grill, will be hosting a celebration of local craft beer, food and music from 8 to 11 p.m. DC Brau, Heavy Seas, Flying Dog, Evolution, Devils Backbone, Starr Hill, Lost Rhino, Port City and Mad Fox will provide the beer along with food from some of the DC area’s best restaurants and music by the 19th Street Band. Tickets are $50 per person and may be purchased online in advance at https://eventfarm.com/brewhaha.
- Saturday, August 17th – NoMa Beerfest – The outdoor festival in the NoMa neighborhood of DC features seven local brewers and dozens of beers, live music, DJ entertainment, games by DC Bocce League for the whole family, and a variety of cuisine from Union Kitchen and local food trucks.
- Sunday, August 18th – The Bluejacket Sneak Preview BBQ – Bluejacket will host its first- ever soiree from 3-7 p.m. at the soon-to-open brewery, slated to officially open in early September. Enjoy a good ol’ fashion Sunday backyard BBQ, an intimate gathering that will feature a number of Bluejacket brews, a selection of backyard BBQ eats, plus a guided tour of the brewhouse. Tickets are $65 per person.
National Building Museum
401 F St., NW, Washington, D.C.
Time: Now through September 2nd
Since when did the National Building Museum become as much fun as a boardwalk arcade? First, the museum partnered with Hill Country for regular barbecues on its front lawn; now, there’s mini-golf! The museum’s course layout for 2013 has 18 holes — up from 12 last year — imagined by D.C. design and architecture firms, who drew on a variety of building-themed influences. The courses are open during museum hours, with late-night golf nights June 6, June 27, July 11, July 24, Aug. 8 and Aug. 22, when the holes will stay open until 9 p.m.
Redskins Training Camp
West Leigh St., Richmond, VA
Time: Friday, Practice at 9:45 am
During the first few weeks of practice, fans are invited to see the Washington Redskins in action on the practice field. Visitors are encouraged to bring lawn chairs or blankets. Practices last between 90 minutes and two hours. After each practice, fans may have the opportunity to get autographs and take photos of their favorite players.
Twilight Polo Club
Great Meadow Polo Club
5089 Old Tavern Rd., The Plains, VA
Time: Gates open at 6:30 pm
Price: $30 per car load
Join in all the fun for a themed night of polo and merriment. Saturday’s theme is Barbarians and Librarians.
Comcast Outdoor Film Festival
MCPS Board of Education Building
850 Hungerford Dr., Rockville, MD
Time: Friday, Saturday and Sunday
Activities begin at 5:30 pm, Movies start at 8:30 pm
Ever wish you could still go to a drive-in movie? Then this is for you! Held at a new location on the grounds of the old Rockville Drive-In that closed in 1981. The fun begins before the credits roll with music, food, and children’s activities. Food and snacks will be for sale with a portion of the proceeds benefiting the NIH Children’s Charities – Children’s Inn, Camp Fantastic/Special Love, and Friends of the Clinical Center.
- Friday: Oz the Great and Powerful. 130 minutes, Rated PG
- Saturday: Skyfall. 143 minutes, Rated PG-13
- Sunday: The Amazing Spider-Man. 136 minutes, Rated PG-13
Montgomery County Agricultural Fair
Montgomery County Fairgrounds
16 Chestnut St., Gaithersburg, MD
Time: Friday 3pm – Midnight
Saturday 10am – Midnight
Price: $10, Children 11 and under free
Since 1949 the Montgomery County Agricultural Fair, the largest county fair in the State of Maryland, has been a showcase of farm life in Montgomery County. The week-long county fair is a family event with carnival rides, live animals, a variety of entertainment, food and fun activities for all ages. Kids especially enjoy the opportunity to see all kinds of farm animals up close including prize winning goats, sheep, pigs, dairy cattle, horses, etc. Live entertainment includes Monster Trucks, Demolition Derby, “Fair’s Idol” Competition, and much more.
Bethany Beach Summer Bandstand
Listen to great live performances while relaxing right on the beach! Performances start at 7:30 pm. Friday: Talent Show with Mario (7 p.m.) Saturday, Aug.17: First State Symphonic Band Sunday: The Stims
Sundaes in the Park
Between 127th Street and the Bay
Time: Sunday from 7pm-9pm
Bring your picnic basket and beach chairs to Northside Park for ice cream sundaes and live entertainment. For a small fee, enjoy your own ice cream sundae creation as you listen to your musical favorites and watch the sunset over the beautiful Assawoman Bay. The grand finale to each Sundaes in the Park event will be Fireworks at 9pm! This Sunday features: The Reagan Years (80’s Music) and Cascading Carlos (A Juggling Workshop).
Concerts at a Glance! Contact your concierge for pricing and availability!
- Rockstar Energy Drink UPROAR Festival, Jiffy Lube Live, Friday at 2 pm
- Jimmy Buffett, Jiffy Lube Live, Saturday at 8 pm
- Backstreet Boys: In a World Like This, Jiffy Lube Live, Sunday at 7 pm
- Hot August Blues, Oregon Ridge Park Cockeysville MD, Saturday at 11 am
Sports at a Glance! Contact your concierge for pricing and availability!
- Baltimore Orioles vs Rockies, Camden Yards, Friday at 7:05pm, Saturday at 7:05pm, and Sunday at 1:35 pm
Movies Opening this Weekend
Kick Ass 2
(Action, Comedy, Crime – 103 Minutes)
The costumed high-school hero Kick-Ass joins with a group of normal citizens who have been inspired to fight crime in costume. Meanwhile, the Red Mist plots an act of revenge that will affect everyone Kick-Ass knows. Starring Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Chloe Grace Moretz, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, and Jim Carrey
Lee Daniels’ The Butler
(Biography, Drama – 132 Minutes)
As Cecil Gaines serves eight presidents during his tenure as a butler at the White House, the civil rights movement, Vietnam, and other major events affect this man’s life, family, and American society. Starring Forest Whitaker, Oprah Winfrey, John Cusack, and Jane Fonda
(Drama, Thriller – 106 Minutes)
An entry-level employee at a powerful corporation finds himself occupying a corner office, but at a dangerous price: he must spy on his boss’s old mentor to secure for him a multi-billion dollar advantage. Starring Liam Hemsworth, Gary Oldman, Amber Heard, and Harrison Ford
(Biography, Drama – 122 Minutes)
The story of Steve Jobs’ ascension from college dropout into one of the most revered creative entrepreneurs of the 20th century. Starring Ashton Kutcher, Dermot Mulroney, Josh Gad, and Lukas Haas
If you were ever looking to sample some new cuisines or restaurants now is the time. Summer Restaurant Week is here! You’re able to get your foodie fix throughout the DMV!
If you’re not familiar with Restaurant Week, it’s a glorious week in the culinary world where restaurants offer prefix menus at a discount price! It’s the perfect way to sample some new foods or try a new restaurant without breaking the bank. Most restaurants offer a three-course dinner menu where you can pick an appetizer, entrée and dessert for around $30. Some even offer lunch menus for around $20.
College Park Restaurant Week
August 11-17, 2013. With its timing just before University of Maryland students go back to school, this is a great time to check out some of the area’s prime restaurants. The event features a variety of three-course meals and other discounts at several College Park restaurants.
- Washington, DC Restaurant Week
August 19-25, 2013. More than 100 of Washington, DC’s finest restaurants will be offering 3-course lunches for $20.13 and 3-course dinners for $35.13 for this gourmet event.
- Alexandria Restaurant Week
August 23 – September 1, 2013. More than 60 restaurants will be offering special menus and pricing to entice visitors to dine in Alexandria, Virginia, just five miles south of Washington, DC. The restaurants are offering either a three-course pre-fixe dinner or dinner for two, both priced at $35.